May 9 - June 16, 2011
- Reception: May 12, 6-8 p.m., Gallery Lounge,
- Live music by the Parkland College Guitar Ensemble
- Awards ceremony at 7 p.m.
- Additional faculty lecture with Paul Young: "The End of Print?" Tuesday, June 14 at 1:00p.m.
The Parkland College Graphic Design Student Juried Exhibition showcases the year’s best work from Parkland’s Graphic Design program classes. The exhibit will be held at the Parkland Art Gallery from Monday, May 9 through Thursday, June 16. An artists’ reception will be held on Thursday, May 12, from 6 to 8 p.m. in the gallery lounge. All events in the handicapped-accessible gallery are free and open to the public.
This juried exhibit allows Parkland’s graphic design, web design, and motion graphics students the opportunity to present their best work to the community and to industry professionals in marketing communication, advertising, and design. With the design profession expanding from traditional print media into areas like web animation, motion graphics, and interactive design, contemporary designers are often asked to solve visual communication problems for clients using various media creatively; the variety of student work in this exhibit reflects that shift.
During the May 12 reception, an awards ceremony honoring 2011 Graphic Design student achievements will take place at 7 p.m. A number of monetary awards will be given at that time; as students successfully solve visual communication problems for local clients, the clients often donate money for these awards. In this way, the exhibit also highlights service learning, an important component of Parkland’s curriculum.
- Graphic Design Best of Show Award: Benji Frazzetto (Champaign)
- Parkland President's Award for Excellence: Brandon Satterfield (Monticello)
- Dr. David M. and Shirley A. Jones Student Award: Natalie Fiol (Champaign)
- Fine and Applied Arts Department Chair Award: Jamie Ye (Bejing, China)
- Frederic W. Goudy Type Award: Cassie Yue (Savoy)
- Electric Pictures Award of Excellence: Boston Fleener (Farmer City)
- Luciferin & Luciferase Design Award: Cristy Scoggins (Urbana)
- Larry Ecker Award for Typographic Excellence: Benji Frazzetto (Champaign)
- Marketing & Public Relations Department Award of Excellence: Kerry Cantrell (Urbana)
- Surface 51 Award of Excellence: Brandon Satterfield (Monticello)
- Davis Award for Distinctive Design: Joshua Stafford (Champaign)
- Mass Communications Award of Excellence: Benji Frazzetto (Champaign)