Types of Aid


Grants are often called "gift aid" because they are free money - Financial aid that doesn't have to be repaid. Grants awarded through Parkland are a form of need-based aid from both federal and state sources.

Federal Pell Grant

The Federal Pell Grant is designed to help pay college-related expenses. The exact dollar award is determined by the student’s class load and the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) as calculated by the federal government. For more information click here.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG) is awarded to students who have exceptional financial need. SEOG awards depend on the amount of funds available. For more information click here.

Federal Work-Study (FWS)

Federal Work Study (FWS) is awarded through the Office of Financial Aid in the form of part-time employment. Students who participate generally work from 10-20 hours per week and are paid twice a month. The actual FWS award is based on demonstrated financial need. For more information click here.

Monetary Award Program (MAP)

The Monetary Award Program (MAP) is awarded by the Illinois Student Assistance Commission (ISAC) and is designed to pay tuition and basic fees at Parkland for Illinois students. MAP grants are limited based on the number of applicants and funding levels appropriated by the Illinois General Assembly. Please be aware that in light of state funding constraints, reductions to estimated or actual MAP grants are possible.

There is a limit on the number of MAP Paid Credit Hours that can be paid while you are classified by your school as a freshman and sophomore. This limit is the equivalent of 75 MAP Paid Credit Hours. For more information click here.


Student loans are a form of financial assistance offered to students to pay off education related expenses. Students are not required to pay their student loans back until after a grace period, which begins after they have completed their education or drop below 6 credit hours. 

William D. Ford Direct Loan Program

Students enrolled in either college transfer or vocational/technical programs may apply for this loan. Depending upon demonstrated financial need and academic program length, dependent/independent freshman students may borrow up to $5,500/$9,500. Dependent/independent sophomores may borrow up to $6,500/$10,500 with demonstrated financial need. Repayment begins six months after the student drops below half-time student status, but there are deferment provisions. Monthly repayment varies with the total amount borrowed. For more Information click here.

Direct Parental Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS)

The Parental Loan for Undergraduate Students is available for parents of dependent students who are enrolled at least half-time. Repayment begins within 60 days of signing a promissory note unless the parent opts to have repayment deferred while the student for whom the parent borrowed is enrolled at least half-time and for an additional six months after that student is no longer enrolled at least half-time. Application for the Direct PLUS begins when completing a PLUS Application, which is available from the Office of Financial Aid. Direct PLUS loans are made through the U.S. government. For more information click here.


Students may also apply for scholarships. The types of scholarships available to students are external scholarships (scholarships provided from a external provider), and scholarships available through the Parkland College Foundation. 

Parkland College Foundation scholarships are available through our scholarship search tool.

Some external scholarship opportunities can be found through Fastweb.