Due to the measures Parkland College is taking to help reduce the spread of COVID-19, advising appointments will be conducted in an online format via Microsoft Teams until further notice.
Please read this entire page before making your online advising appointment.
If you have any issues with having your advising meeting online, please email your advisor/counselor directly or our department at CounselingServices@parkland.edu for assistance.
Please note: You must be a currently enrolled and/or returning student of Parkland College in order to schedule an online advising appointment.
If you are NOT a currently enrolled Parkland student, have been absent from Parkland for more than 2 years or have never attended Parkland College before, please use the questions below to help guide you to the appropriate resources:
1. Are you a new, degree-seeking student, without 15 credit hours of transfer credit from another institution of higher education? For instance, did you just graduate high school and/or is this your first time attending college?
- If you answered yes to the questions above, you are not required to go through Orientation at this time, due to the COVID-19 response. However, you do need to have current placements in math, reading and English in order to have a productive advising meeting.
- If you do not know if you have current placements for math, reading and English, please contact Admissions@parkland.edu to inquire about your academic placements.
- Once you know you have current placements, please follow the instructions below for how to schedule your advising session.
2. If you are a returning Parkland student, have you been gone from Parkland for more than 2 years?
- If so, you must be sure your student account is still active in order to benefit from an advising appointment. If you are unsure if your student account is still active, please contact the Admissions office at Admissions@parkland.edu to inquire if you need to fill out a new application.
- Once you have determined that your student account is still active, you may schedule your advising appointment by following the instructions below.
3. Are you a new or returning English-as-a-Second Language (ESL) or International Student?
- You are not required to go through Orientation but you do need to have current academic placements.
- If you do not know if you have current placements, please contact AssessmentCenter@parkland.edu to ask which assessments you need to complete.
- Once you know you have current placements, please follow the instructions below for how to schedule your advising session. You will need to select ESL/International Academic Advising for your session.
Instructions for scheduling an advising appointment:
Please read this entire section before making your online advising appointment.
Our department is using Microsoft Teams for virtual advising appointments. There will be a link to Join the Teams Meeting in the email confirmation and 1-day reminder that you will receive after you make your appointment. You can open this in an internet browser (Chrome or Internet Explorer) or you can download the Microsoft Teams app on your mobile device. The advisor may share their screen with you, so whatever is easiest for you to see plus talk on. If it asks you for a log in, sign in with your Parkland student email credentials.
After clicking on the on the scheduling link:
1. You will select your type of online advising session:
- General Advising or New Student Advising
- OR advising for specific-populations:Veterans Academic Advising
- Veterans Academic Advising
- Aviation Academic Advising
- ESL/International Academic Advising
- Pathway Academic Advising
2. You will then “Select Staff”:
- For General Advising or New Student Advising, you may pick any advisor/counselor you would like.
- For Specific-populations, there will be specific advisors identified.
3. You will pick your day and time for the online advising appointment.
4. You will fill out your identifying information and click “Book.” Please be sure to double check that all your information is correct. If your email address is typed incorrectly, you will never receive a confirmation or reminder email with the link to the Teams meeting.
5. After you click "Book," you will get an email confirmation regarding the booking. If you should need to cancel the appointment, please email CounselingServices@parkland.edu or your advisor directly.
6. When it is time for your appointment, click on the "Join the Teams Meeting" link in your confirmation or reminder email. You can open this in an internet browser (Chrome or Internet Explorer) or you can download the Microsoft Teams app on your mobile device. The advisor may share their screen with you, so whatever is easiest for you to see plus talk on. If it asks you for a log in, sign in with your Parkland student email credentials.
To find your Parkland student ID number or Parkland student email address:
- Log into my.Parkland.edu
- Click on WebAdvisor for Students
- Click on Academic Profile
- Click on My Profile
- If any of the information is incorrect or needs updated, please email Registration@parkland.edu.