Getting Started as a Parkland student


There are four different residency classifications: In-District, Out-Of-District, Out-of-State, and International.  Each classification has a specific tuition rate. The tuition and fees tied to each residency classification can be on the Tuition and Fees webpage

Your initial residency designation is determined using information from your application such as high school, current address, and employment. More information about residency and how to change it is located on the Residency webpage

Policy 8.21 Parkland College Residence Regulations  

Application/Admissions Process

The office of Admissions and Records accept applications for admission into each academic term (Fall, Spring, and Summer). Applicants can apply either as degree-seeking or non-degree-seeking applicant.

Students can apply to Parkland by submitting a paper application or by going online to the online application here.

International Applicants

An international applicant is defined as a student who has obtained a student visa to study in the United States or plans to obtain a student visa to study in the United States. For international applicants who need to obtain a student visa, Parkland College will provide an I-20. For an international applicant, here are the documents that the applicant must provide to get admitted to Parkland and receive an I-20:

    • A completed admissions application
    • Photocopy page of a valid passport
    • Transcripts documenting completion of high school or equivalent in their home country
    • Bank statement documenting that they have enough to cover tuition, fees, housing, and other personal expenses. Note: Bank Statement must be from a date six months before their enrollment
    • $50 application fee (Only for students who currently living outside of the United States)

All documents that are submitted must be in English and approved by the Office of Admissions and Records. After all the documents have been received, the applicant will be issued an I-20. The I-20 will reflect the appropriate amount of time to complete the academic program that they have selected on their admissions application.

International applicants that plan to become a part-time student or do not have a F-1 Visa are required to provide a photocopy of their passport, a copy of their student visa, and their I-94 document.

All documents submitted for admission must be valid. For more information about the documents required, click here.

Selective Admission

Applicants that apply to the following academic programs are required to provide additional documentation to be considered for admission into the program:

All applicants will be notified of the additional materials that will be needed to complete their application to the selective admissions program of their choice after submitting their initial application for admission. The deadline to submit the additional application materials for the selective admissions program for the Spring semester is October 1 and the deadline for Fall Admission is March 1.

Degree-Seeking Applicant

A degree-seeking applicant is any applicant who intends to pursue a degree or certificate from Parkland College. It is recommended that an applicant who wishes to obtain financial aid applies as a degree-seeking student. All degree-seeking applicants are encouraged to complete the following processes before they are allowed to register for classes:

    • Submit a copy of high school transcripts or GED to the office of Admissions and Records
    • Take a placement test in Reading, English, and Math to determine placement in the course
    • New degree-seeking applicants who have not obtained college credit previously from Parkland College are encouraged to complete orientation before the start of their initial academic term at Parkland College.

Non-Degree-Seeking Applicant

A non-degree-seeking applicant is any applicant who does not plan to pursue a degree or certificate from Parkland College. Students who are currently enrolled at another institution as a full-time student, a student that has not currently graduated from high school or obtained a GED, or a student who wishes to take academic courses for leisure are recommended to apply as a non-degree seeking applicant. Non-Degree-seeking applicants are not required to submit a copy of their high school transcript or GED. Non-Degree-seeking applicants are not eligible to receive financial aid.

In addition, non-degree seeking applicants are not required to take a placement test to register for courses however for certain courses that a non-degree applicant would like to enroll in they may be required to show completion of a prerequisite course or be required to take a placement test to become eligible to enroll in their desired course(s).

Comprehensive Agreement Regarding the Expansion of Educational Resources (CAREER Agreement)

Out of district students who are interested in pursuing a program of study that is not offered at their home community college, may be eligible for to attend Parkland College and pay tuition at the resident rate.  More information is available by going to the Career Agreement webpage

Admission Policy can be viewed in the Parkland Catalog and Parkland College Policy and Procedure Manual


The Parkland College Assessment Center provides an opportunity for students who do not meet the requirements for class registration to do so through placement testing. Placement testing scores can be used in place of standardized test results, official transcripts, or other academic measures for the purposes of enrolling into classes that have requirements to meet before taking the class. For more information, please visit the Placement Tests website.

Academic Placement Policy can be viewed in the Parkland Catalog or Parkland College Policy and Procedure Manual.  


Registration Procedure can be found in the Parkland Catalog. Registration dates and deadlines can all be found by going to the College Calendar.

Degree-seeking students must have placement in reading, English, and math before they can register.  Students should meet with an academic success advisor who specializes in their academic area prior to registration. In many cases, meeting with an advisor is required.

Nondegree-seeking students must also have appropriate placement for the classes they wish to take.  

Click here for a step-by-step tutorial on how to register for classes.

The student orientation is an online guide to help you through the steps needed for a successful start at Parkland College. Orientation can be completed from any mobile device and will provide an overview of steps to complete enrollment, financial aid, campus resources, support services, and student involvement opportunities. To access the student orientation visit