Grade issues

Grade Review/Appeal

What is a Grade Review/Appeal?

Individual Grade Review 

    • An individual grade review is when a student has received an individual assignment grade that they wish to dispute or believe is unfair (see next section - Grade review/appeal process - for qualifying "unfair" grading practices) before the semester is over.

Final Grade Review/Appeal

    • A final grade review/appeal is when a student has received a final grade that they wish to dispute or believe is unfair (see next section - Grade review/appeal process - for qualifying "unfair" grading practices) after the semester is over and the grade has been posted to the transcript but before midterm of the following semester (excluding summers). 

 A Grade Review/Appeal can be filed when a student has received a transcript grade that they are not satisfied with. Course grade review is done at the end of the course, once the grade has posted on the transcript, and before the midterm of the following semester.

If a student has concerns about a grade that they received on an individual assignment during the current semester, before final grades are posted to their transcript, please contact that instructor to discuss the concern. 

Please refer to Parkland College Policy 8.15.03 for more information.

A student utilizing the grade appeal process may not use the Student Grievance hearing process for the same occurrence. 

Grade Review/Appeal Process

Please be patient.  This process can take some time due to many factors and committee schedules. Once a Grade Review/Appeal has been submitted, it can take up to a month for all the steps to be completed. A response will be sent to the student’s email.

STEP 1: Determine whether you have a basis for grade review/appeal.  If you cannot answer yes to at least one of these questions, your grade is not eligible for review/appeal:

  • Was the grade based on something other than your academic performance or behavior in the course?
  • Was the grade based on standards that were different from those upon which other students were graded?
  • Was the grade based on standards and/or criteria that were not clearly presented in the course syllabus, course materials, and/or written communications?
  • Was the grade calculated incorrectly?  

STEP 2: Contact the instructor of the course before midterm of the following semester (excluding summer term) to review how the grade was determined.

STEP 3: If meeting with the instructor doesn’t resolve the issue, or you cannot or are unwilling to discuss the issue with the instructor, contact the department office.  (You may be directed to a Course Coordinator, a Program Manager/Director, or the Department Chair.)

STEP 4: If the informal review with the department and instructor doesn’t resolve the issue, please contact the division Dean. If the issue cannot be resolved with the division Dean, that Dean can assist the student in beginning the formal grade appeal process before midterm of the following semester. Make sure to be alert for and respond quickly to any requests for additional information or documentation. The division Dean will appoint a committee of faculty members and one student to rule on the appeal.

A student utilizing the grade appeal process may not use the Student Grievance hearing process for the same occurrence. 

Appeal of Decision

If the formal grade appeal is complete and you believe the instructor, chair, dean or grade appeal committee did not follow the college’s published policies and procedures in determining the course grade or the grade appeal process, you can file an appeal to the Student Affairs Committee. Contact the Division Dean to initiate Student Affairs appeal. Please be advised, the Student Affairs Committee only reviews whether or not college policy was followed in the course grading policies and/or the appeal; they do not review or weigh in on the grade.

Additional Information

Parkland College's Grade Appeal Process policy can be viewed here in the Policies and Procedures manual.

Academic Record Exclusion

What is an Academic Record Exclusion?
Students can request an Academic Record Exclusion if they believe that their prior academic record does not accurately represent their current abilities and commitment to education. Students may request one or more prior semesters to be excluded when these semesters consist of primarily grades of D and F.


    • Students must have been absent from the college for two years
    • Prior to submitting the request, students must have returned to Parkland College and successfully completed 15 credit hours within two years of their return. 

For additional information, contact or reach out to your academic advisor. 

How to Request an Academic Record Exclusion

Students may contact to request the current form and instructions. Please use your Parkland College student email account when making this request.  Students can expect to receive the Academic Record Exclusion form within five school days from the request date. Submit the completed form and all needed documentation to

    Please note:

      • Read the form and instructions carefully
      • Confirm the dates, semesters, and course numbers you wish to exclude
      • Complete the form in a legible manner
      • You will likely find it helpful to work with your academic advisor
    The Academic Record Exclusion Review Process

    The Exception to Policy Coordinator reviews the submitted material to assure all necessary information and documentation is complete. Incomplete request forms will be returned to students OR the student will receive an email from the coordinator asking for additional information. 

    Requests, dates, and documentation are reviewed for accuracy. The Exception to Policy Coordinator then forwards the reviewed request to the appropriate division Dean. 

    NOTE: The entire process from initial submission of the request may take two to five weeks to be completed. 

      Decisions on Academic Record Exclusion Requests

      If approved:

        • The Dean will request the appropriate action of the exclusion of grades
        • All prior grades and earned credit will remain on the student transcript with proper exclusion notation 
        • Those courses or semesters approved for exclusion will be removed from the computation of the student's cumulative grade point average (GPA)
        • The Dean will notify the student through their Parkland student email account

      If denied:

        • The Dean will notify the student through their Parkland student email account
        How to Appeal Academic Record Exclusion Request Denial?

        Appeal process:

          • All students have the right to appeal a denial decision on the basis of due process. 
          • Student should follow the procedures as outlined in Student Grievance Policy and Procedure section. 
          • To lodge an appeal with the Student Affairs Committee you may contact the committee at

        Individual Grade Exclusion

        What is Individual Grade Exclusion?

        Students who have changed from a transfer program to a career program or from one career program to another career program (A.A.S. degree and career certificate) may request that D and F grades earned in credit hours not required in the new program be excluded from the computation of their cumulative grade point average in the new program. The requested courses must have been required in the previous program and not required in the new career program.This policy does not apply to persons changing from one transfer major to another transfer major or from a career program to a transfer program. Any excluded grades and earned credits remain on the student’s transcript.

        How to Request an Individual Grade Exclusion

        Forms to request an individual grade exclusion can be requested by emailing

        Academic Suspension & Academic Dismissal

        What is Academic Suspension and Academic Dismissal?

        Academic Suspension

        Students will be placed on academic suspension if, while on academic probation, their semester grade point average is below 1.75. The suspension will be until the end of the semester (fall or spring) after being placed on suspension. Students placed on academic suspension are not able to register for any courses.

        Academic Dismissal

        Students will be placed on academic dismissal if, during the term in which they return from suspension, their semester grade point average is below 1.75. The dismissal will be for one calendar year. Students placed on academic dismissal are not able to register for any courses.

        More information can be found in the Parkland Catalog.

        What is the Process of Returning from Suspension or Dismissal?
        When students are suspended or dismissed, they are required to take off time from classes in order to resolve the issues that led to their suspension or dismissal. Students who are suspended are required to take one fall or spring semester without classes. Students who are dismissed are required to take off a full academic year.

        When students take the appropriate time off they need to schedule a time with their advisor and complete an Academic Success Plan to help them reach their academic goals. 

        What Do I Do if I Don’t Think I Need Time Off for the Suspension or Dismissal?
        You may appeal the time off for suspension or dismissal by meeting with your advisor and completing the Petition to Appeal of Academic Suspension or Dismissal and the Academic Success Plan. In order for this to be approved you need to demonstrate that the issues that led to your academic suspension or dismissal have been resolved, that you have a commitment to your academic studies, and that you have sufficient supports to be successful.