After you are accepted, you will receive an email with your Student ID#, Parkland Student Username, and Parkland Student email account. A Form I-20 and letter of admission will be sent to you via UPS Express.
- The SEVIS Fee and F1 Visa Application -
After receiving your Admission letter and Form I-20 you will pay the SEVIS fee, apply for your student visa, schedule the visa interview, make travel arrangements, and make living arrangements.
· Pay the fee SEVIS I-901
· Follow these instructions for completing your F1 student visa application
· Schedule your visa interview at the US Embassy or Consulate in your country
· Canadian citizens: follow these special instructions
You can click the link above for more information.
- Arrival in Champaign -
Make travel arrangements to arrive in Champaign a minimum of two weeks before classes begin; students can enter the US through any major airport and can fly into Champaign via connecting flights from Chicago, New York, or other US Ports of Entry. Amtrak Train and Bus services bring students directly to Champaign from Chicago’s O’Hare airport.
* For Students Needing Assessments
Students who have not taken the assessment tests prior to coming to the US must arrive a minimum of seven (7) days before classes begin. The student will take all required assessments, meet with an academic advisor, register and pay course tuition fees.
*For ESL Students
New F1 students who plan to take pre-college ESL should arrange to be on campus when classes begin on the first day of the 16-week semester. Students arriving after this deadline may be able to enroll in selected 13-week, late-start elective classes if available, but core ESL classes (reading/vocabulary, listening/speaking, and grammar/writing) are NOT offered in the 13-week semester.
During your first few days in Champaign-Urbana you will need to:
- Move in to your apartment
- Check-in at the International Admissions Office, U238. Bring your signed Form I-20, visa, I-94 document, local address and phone number
- Attend the International Student Orientation
- Take placement test(s) in the Assessment Center (if you have not already taken them)
- Meet with an academic advisor and register for classes
- Resources -
Parkland offers academic accommodations for students with documented disabilities. If you are in need of accommodations, contact Accessibility Services, 217-353-2338.
International Student Services
Parkland College Campus Map
Champaign-Urbana City Map
Champaign-Urbana City Bus (MTD)