Parkland Science Scholars is designed to support low-income students to pursue their degree in a science field. During the two years they are in the program, students are provided financial support and participate in a program involving community-building, a tiered system of mentoring, and participation in summer undergraduate research. Parkland Science Scholars is a grant-funded program. Current funding can support four cohorts of ten students, for a total of 40 students over the course of five years.
Applications are closed, but will reopen on March 1, 2022.
Benefits to the Students
- Financial support of $2,450 each semester (for 4 semesters), without impacting financial aid status
- One-on-one pairing with a faculty mentor
- Participation in peer mentoring within the Parkland Science Scholars and also between program participants and UIUC graduate students
- Preparation for and participation in summer research opportunities (paid and unpaid opportunities are available)
- Participation in and leadership opportunities in Parkland student clubs
- Enrollment in Science Scholars Seminar each semester for 4 semesters
- Recognition by the Parkland Board of Trustees upon successful completion of the program
- Students must be pursuing a degree in sciences, including, but not limited to biological sciences (except clinical fields), physical sciences (including chemistry, physics, astronomy, and geology), and engineering sciences.
- Students must be from low-income families (Pell grant-eligible, determined by completing FAFSA)
- Students must attend Parkland at full-time status (at least 12 credits/semester) for the full 2yrs of the program
- Students must complete an application to be considered
- Students must be US citizens, permanent residents, US nationals, or admitted refugees.
- Project participants must stay in good academic standing throughout the project period (GPA at 2.5/4.0 or above).
- Participants will be required to attend mentoring appointments, the Science Scholar Seminar course, and other events and activities coordinated through the program.
- Students accepted into the program will be required to read and sign an expectations agreement.
More questions about the Parkland Science Scholars program? Contact Dr. C. Britt Carlson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Parkland Science Scholars is supported by a grant from the National Science Foundation.