The Parkland College Office of Student Life Leadership Academy is a program to develop leadership skills, so students can excel and make a difference in leadership roles here on campus, in the workforce, and in our community.
The Student Leadership Academy helps develop those skills through:
- In-depth discussion of ethical issues
- Hands-on leadership practice
- Goal setting for meaningful growth and change
Leadership education of college students is an important and growing movement within higher education. To succeed after college, students need more than just a degree and specific job skills. In today’s martketplace, organizations are looking for experienced leaders that are ethical, driven, well-organized communicators with the ability to motivate, empower, and energize others.
Students in this track develop personal philosophies for working effectively with diverse groups to effect meaningful change. Participants have been nominated by Parkland College faculty or staff.
Student Organization Leaders:
This track develops campus club/organization members' ability to empower and mobilize others to accomplish mutually agreed upon goals, while advancing their group's integrity and morale.
This track spotlights and reinforces the relational and ethical processes students use when working in a global society to accomplish positive change.
To complete a track in the Student Leadership Academy
- Complete 12 hours of on-campus and online workshops.
- Participate in on- and off- campus service-learning leadership engagement.
- Complete in as little as one semester or at a pace set by each individual student.
- Student Leadership Academy graduates may be eligible to apply for Parkland Student Life scholarships.
*All Parkland students taking 3+ credit hours are eligible to participate.
- Leadership Skills with Mark Kesler
January 14 | 2-3pm | U140
- Time Management & Goal Setting with Angela Jancola
January 27 | 2-3pm | U140
- Student Leaders Influencing Change with Amy Sims from Joliet Junior College
February 11| 1-2pm | U111
- Working it Wednesday: Loving your Job with Carrie Harris
February 12 | 2-3pm | U140
- Communication Skills with Jodi Littleton
February 25 | 3-4pm | U140
- Managing Stress & Anxiety with Angela Jancola
March 4 | 1-2pm | U140
- Multicultural Identity & Leadership with Amanda Mesirow
from Moraine Valley Community College
March 9 | 1-2pm | U140
- Working it Wednesday: Know your Worth at Work with Tracy Kleparski
March 11| 2-3pm| U111
- Strength Finders* with Dean Derrick Baker
March 31| 2-3pm | D244
Pre-registration required. Contact Student Life by 3/27.
- Choosing Civility with BSSP and Donna Tanner- Harold
April 8 | 1-2pm | U140
April 10 | 11am-1pm | D244
Pre-registration required. Contact Student Life by 3/27
- Ethical Leadership with Evie Newman
April 13 | 3-4pm | X148
Contact the Office of Student Life at 217/351-2216 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.