The Parkland College Office of Student Life Leadership Academy is a program to develop leadership skills, so students can excel and make a difference in leadership roles here on campus, in the workforce, and in our community.
The Student Leadership Academy helps develop those skills through:
- In-depth discussion of ethical issues
- Hands-on leadership practice
- Goal setting for meaningful growth and change
Leadership education of college students is an important and growing movement within higher education. To succeed after college, students need more than just a degree and specific job skills. In today’s martketplace, organizations are looking for experienced leaders that are ethical, driven, well-organized communicators with the ability to motivate, empower, and energize others.
Students in this track develop personal philosophies for working effectively with diverse groups to effect meaningful change. Participants have been nominated by Parkland College faculty or staff.
Student Organization Leaders:
This track develops campus club/organization members' ability to empower and mobilize others to accomplish mutually agreed upon goals, while advancing their group's integrity and morale.
This track spotlights and reinforces the relational and ethical processes students use when working in a global society to accomplish positive change.
To complete a track in the Student Leadership Academy
- Complete 12 hours of on-campus and online workshops.
- Participate in on- and off- campus service-learning leadership engagement.
- Complete in as little as one semester or at a pace set by each individual student.
- Student Leadership Academy graduates may be eligible to apply for Parkland Student Life scholarships.
*All Parkland students taking 3+ credit hours are eligible to participate.
Contact the Office of Student Life at 217/351-2216 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.