LGBTQIA+ Local/National Resources
There are a number of resources available locally as well as nationally. Below is a list of resources, organized by category.
- The UP Center of Champaign County
- The UP Center is a volunteer-run organization that provides support services to promote the health, well-being, and sense of belonging to individuals who identify as sexual and gender minorities. The UP Center advocates for individuals of all sexual orientations, gender identities, and gender expressions through education, outreach, and partnerships with the broader community.
- PFLAG-Parents, Friends and Family of Lesbians and Gays
Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) promotes the health and well being of gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered persons, their families and friends through:
ADVOCACY, to end discrimination and secure equal civil rights on local, state and national levels
EDUCATION of families and communities on sexual orientation, gender identity and LGBTQIA+ issues.
SUPPORT to help LGBTQIA+ people, their families and friends by providing groups, helplines and other resources.
Our local chapter is focused on educating communities in Clark and Champaign counties through a variety of projects, while PFLAG National continues to provide fair and accurate information about LGBTQIA+ people, their loved ones, and the unique challenges they face.
- U of I Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender Resource Center
- The mission of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender (LGBT) Resource Center at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign is to foster an environment that is open, safe, and inclusive for people of all sexualities and gender identities. The Center is a resource not only for the LGBTQIA+ community but for the entire University of Illinois community. The LGBT Resource Center seeks to help in the efforts to address homophobia, biphobia, transphobia, and heterosexist attitudes and beliefs on the campus, and to work to make the environment safe and affirming for all students, faculty, staff, and LGBTQIA+ students, faculty, and staff at the University of Illinois in particular.
- University of Illinois-LGBT Resource Center student groups
- The Trevor Project
- The Trevor Project is the leading national organization providing crisis intervention and suicide prevention services to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer & questioning (LGBTQ) young people under 25.
- GLSEN is a United States-based education organization working to end discrimination, harassment, and bullying based on sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, and to prompt LGBTQIA+ cultural inclusion and awareness in K-12 schools.
- Campus Pride
- The Campus Pride Index is a vital tool for assisting campuses in learning ways to improve their LGBTQIA+ campus life and ultimately shape the educational experience to be more inclusive, welcoming and respectful of LGBTQIA+ and Ally people.