employee drug & alcohol policy

A ‘drug-free workplace’ shall be provided as defined by the Drug-free Workplace Act of 1988. The unlawful manufacture, distribution, dispensation, or possession of a controlled substance (as defined in 720 ILCS 570/100, et seq. [1992 State Bar Edition], now in effect and as from time to time amended) is prohibited on Parkland College property. Behaviors that are inappropriate, disruptive and /or endangering or that result in diminished work capacity due to consumption of alcohol or other drugs will not be tolerated. In addition, the use of alcohol while on Parkland College owned or controlled grounds, including during meal periods and breaks, is absolutely prohibited except when authorized by the college for approved college functions.

Employees are required by law to report any conviction of a state or federal criminal statutory drug offense within five (5) days of the date of such an occurrence. The college must report that employee to federal grant agencies within ten (10) days as well as take appropriate disciplinary actions within thirty (30) days from said date. 



The college will take strong disciplinary action against any employee or student employee who does not adhere to this policy. More information regarding disciplinary actions can be obtained by contacting the Parkland College Human Resources: 217/351-2200.


Program Description


The college will conduct workshops and seminars during the academic year and distribute information regarding the dangers of drug abuse to all employees. The college will make a good-faith effort to continue and maintain a drug-free workplace and implement the provisions of this policy. 



If an employee feels that he or she has a problem with substance abuse, the employee may seek help through the college’s Employee Assistance Program (EAP). This program will provide confidential assessment and referral if needed and may be reached by calling 217/383-3202 or 800/228-6380. Student employees with such problems should contact Counseling and Advising, Public Safety, Student Services, or the Wellness Center.