Welcome to the Parkland College Student Employment Program!
Student employment offers students an opportunity to develop skills and gain valuable work experience in a supportive, convenient environment. Policies and procedures with which students and supervisors should become familiar are detailed fully on this website.
Federal Work Study vs. Non Work Study
Federal Work Study (FWS) is a financial aid program that is awarded to eligible students based on their financial aid application. FWS is funded by the federal government. Some campus jobs are limited to students in Federal Work Study program.
- Students must be enrolled and maintain at least six credit hours in the spring and fall semesters and at least three credit hours during the summer.
- A minimum GPA of 2.0 is required to work as a student employee. Some departments may require a higher GPA and/or additional skills in their job description.
- Students must be at least 17 years old. Some supervisors may require their student employees be 18 years old to legally qualify for certain aspects of the job.
- Students must have a high school diploma or GED.
- Per Policy 3.04 in Parkland College's Policy and Procedure Manual, students may not be hired or supervised by a member of their household, their immediate family, or individuals with whom they have a personal, nonprofessional relationship.
Student employees may work:
- No more than 8 hours per day
- A maximum of 19 hours per week for fall, spring, summer, and all breaks
Work policies for international students are on an individual basis. Visit the International Student Services office, U233, regarding Visa classification, work eligibility, and restrictions before applying for student employment. If students do not have their Social Security card they will need to apply for one (instructions below).
Applying for Student Jobs
There are a variety of jobs on campus available for students. All students interested in student employment may visit Parkland's Employment website for available positions and to apply.
*First time users will be required to create an account. Follow directions on the website to create an account.
After You Are Hired
Congratulations! Once you have been offered employment, you will need to work with your supervisor to complete several employment forms and a student employment orientation before you can start work.
- Student Employment Orientation
- FERPA Training
- Mandated Reporter Training
Student employees are paid on a biweekly basis. Students may choose to be paid by paper check or by direct bank deposit (recommended).
Financial Aid and Veteran Services
2400 West Bradley Avenue., U286
Champaign, IL 61821