Assessment Center staff will determine which tests you need to take based on the information you provided during the application process. If you do not have eligible college credit or appropriate ACT or SAT scores, you can expect to take tests in reading, writing skills, and mathematics. Non-native speakers of English begin with the English as a Second Language (ESL) test. See the Comprehensive Assessment Program (CAP) policy
Students who live within District 505 area must come to the Parkland College Assessment Center to take their placement exams. Students living outside District 505 may take the Parkland placement tests in a proctored environment at an educational institution closer to home. Please call us at 217/351-2432 if you wish to schedule a remote test. The set-up process takes about 15 minutes, and we will need to know your social security number in order to schedule you for this.
We know that many people do not enjoy taking tests, so we try to make the process as painless as possible. Read the following information and advice, and give us a call if you have any questions.
What you have to do:
- The Assessment Center is open at 8 am when the College is Open, but does not open until 9am on Wednesdays due to staff training.
- If you are scheduling a Dual-Credit placement test package please call 217-351-2484 to schedule an appointment.
- The COMPASS tests in reading, writing, and math and ESL are given by appointment only. Tests must be booked 24 hours in advance or up to two weeks out.
- Students who are late 15 minutes to the appointment time forfeit their appointment time and must reschedule for a later date.
- Tests are NOT timed – you may take as much time as you need to complete testing, any tests not completed by 5 pm will be paused and resumed at a later date.
- Testing is done using a computer.
- Let us know if you need special accommodations. Accommodations for testing are given in the Office of Disability Services, 217-353-2338.
- The cost for the initial placement test packages are free of charge.
- You may ask questions about procedures or test directions during testing.
- You may reassess for initial placement once. The cost is $5/section re-assessment fee. (Starting July 1st, each reassessment will cost $8)
- You MUST have a valid photo ID with you to take a test – no ID, no test.
- The use of personal calculators is prohibited for placement testing.
- No Hoodies, pocketed sweatshirts, jackets, coats, etc
- Upon check-in candidates will be required to check-in phones at front desk.
- Upon check-in candidates will be required to put all other personal belongings not allowed in testing room into a secure locker.
- After you receive your letter of acceptance to Parkland, call 217/351-2432 or stop by the Assessment Center to schedule a test date. Appointments are made 24 hours in advance or up to two weeks out.
- Before your actual test date, we recommend you study, study, study!
- Use our Mathematics and ESL study guides, and go to the ACT website to review test examples.
- Give yourself time to eat breakfast or lunch before your test. Include protein-rich foods like eggs, nuts, yogurt, cottage cheese and fruit to provide energy. Try to eat a healthy balanced diet leading up to your test date. And finally, exercise and get some sleep. This will help – really, it will.
Call 217/351-2432 or stop by the Assessment Center (U 203) to schedule testing or if you have any questions or concerns.