The General Educational Development (GED) exam is offered every month except January. Please refer to Test Schedule.
- must be 17 years old or older
- have been an Illinois resident continuously for at least 30 days
- legally live in one of the counties in our testing jurisdiction (Champaign, Ford; Clark, Coles, Cumberland, Douglas, Edgar, Moultrie, Shelby; DeWitt, Livingston, McLean; Macon, Piatt, or Vermilion)
- are able to show us legal documentation that proves you meet the residency requirement
- If you are exactly 17 or older and your classmates have not graduated yet, an official letter of withdrawal must be sent from your high school to the Assessment Center.
GED Sign-Up Day: for ALL first-time GED test takers AND re-tests!
- We have 20 slots available for each GED testing day. Individuals must sign-up on the indicated “Sign-Up Dates” for each testing date.
- Sign-ups start when the office opens and are made on a first-come, first-served bases till 20 slots are filled.
- You need to bring:
- A valid government-issued photo ID that shows your current legal address. All IDs must be issued by a government agency AND must have a current photo, your legal name, current address, date of birth, and your signature. Acceptable IDs include a state driver’s license, a state ID, a passport, and a military ID. If you current address is different from what is on the ID, please bring a piece of cancelled mail with your current address on (e.g., bill).
- If you want to be exempt from taking the Constitution section of the GED, please bring proof of having passed the Illinois and US Constitution Exam.
- You will need to know your social security number
- If you are 17 or 18 years-old and your classmates have not graduated yet, an official letter of withdrawal must be sent from your high school to the Assessment Center.
- If you are re-testing, you will need to bring all of your previous test score reports, even if you took the GED in another state. Parkland College does not have your score report even if you tested with us.
- You will be required to pay the GED testing fee at sign-up, please come prepared.
- You will complete and sign an application to take the GED exam at sign-up.
GED Registration Day: only for first-time GED test takers ONLY!
- All first time GED test takers will need to come for GED Registration to fill-out paperwork before they can take the exam.
- If you are retesting, you do not need to attend the GED Registration.
- The cost is $50 for the five-test series (GED partial test fees are $10 for Reading; $15 for Writing; $10 for Math; $10 for Social Studies; and $10 for Science).
- Retesting in Math, Language Arts: Reading, Social Studies, or Science costs $10 per test. Retesting in Language Arts: Writing costs $15 per test.
Accommodations for GED® Testing are available for qualifying individuals. Accommodations must be requested and approved before you can sign-up for the GED test. Call 217/351-2433 for details, or visit the Illinois Community College Board website.