Transitional Math

Information for High Schools

Transitional Math is part of the Postsecondary Workforce Readiness Act, or PWR Act, (Public Act 99-0674, HB 5729) in Illinois. There are three Transitional Math pathways, each designed for students who in their junior year of high school are not projected to be ready for college math. The courses are to be taken in a student’s senior year of high school after math graduation requirements have been met, and will guarantee placement in designated community college math courses. High schools will be required to develop and offer one or more of the three pathways, in cooperation with the partner community college. A memorandum of understanding must be signed, establishing expectations for all involved. Parkland College is ready to assist high schools in this process.

Transitional math graphic for high schools

Getting Started with Transitional Math

  1. Contact Erin Wilding-Martin at to let her know that you are ready to start work on your transitional math course.
  2. Choose the Transitional Math pathway that best suits the needs of your students.
  3. Create a plan for developing the course curriculum to meet the competencies outlined by the state. You can choose to develop your own curriculum or use the sample curriculum provided by the state.
  4. Submit your course documentation to the Local Advisory Panel in order to get approval for portability. Portability allows your students to receive placement at all community colleges across the state, not just Parkland College. Portability documents can be sent to Erin Wilding-Martin at 
  5. Sign an MOU (Memo of Understanding) with Parkland College.


Community colleges may submit course partnerships to a state panel for portability, which would allow students who complete a Transitional Math course with a C or higher to use their guaranteed placement at any community college in the state. 

Parkland has formed a Local Advisory Panel of high school math teachers and administrators to advise on local course policy and submissions for state portability. If you are interested in serving on the panel, please contact Erin Wilding-Martin at

Parkland College Transitional Math Contacts:

Erin Wilding-Martin, Transitional Math Coordinator

Kevin Hastings, Mathematics Department Chair