Schedule a private show for your group!
With seating for 125, the Staerkel Planetarium has over two dozen different one-hour programs that can be scheduled for private viewing for school field trips, scout troops, day care groups, park recreation, civic groups and others. Many of our programs have a live narrator, or are interactive. These programs can be tailored to fit a wide range of student ages, interests, and curricula. Note that our programs are now linked with the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS). See the teacher's guides after the show descriptions for more information.
- One show: $3 per person
- Two shows: $4.50 per person (Stay for two consecutive shows and get a second for half price!)
- Virtual show: $25 per group (Schools are limited to one class at a time)
Note: For groups arriving with less than 20 people, there is a minimum fee of $60 for one show and $90 for two shows.
We offer three show formats.
- "Live-narrated" is a show presented live by a presenter. This type of show allows for interaction with the audience but may be missing a soundtrack. This type of show may possibly be altered to allow for discussion of topics a class may be covering at the time. UPDATE: Some of these shows are being adapted for virtual shows, but the content will vary based on the change of format.These shows are marked as "Virtual show available" or "Virtual show coming soon".
- "Digital remaster" refers to one of our older programs that we felt was good enough to adapt to our digital format. There are more still images in these programs in addition to the soundtrack and video.
- A "fulldome presentation" is a purely digital program with its own soundtrack. These are our newer programs. Each show, no matter the format, covers the entire dome. Also note that fulldome shows are usually a bit shorter than normal and we like to fill-in the time with a short live talk on the current constellations and planets. If you have questions, please call our office.
Browse through our show listing and make a reservation to get started on scheduling your show. We do some outreach to schools, though availability is limited. Consider our popular "Traveling Space Suit Show." While you are on campus, consider taking the kids just across the perimeter drive and walking the scale model solar system!
Parkland College encourages persons with disabilities to participate in its programs and activities. If you anticipate needing any type of accommodation, such as a sign language interpreter, or have questions about the physical access provided, please contact the Office of Accessibility Services by phone at 217/353-2338, or by email at email@example.com. To provide seamless access please submit all requests two weeks in advance of your participation or visit.