2020 Commencement Exercises
Thursday, May 14 at 8 pm
Krannert Center for the Performing Arts
UPDATE: Commencement 2020 Suspended
**Parkland College has suspended its spring 2020 Commencement Exercises. Please view details here, and view a video update by Dr. Thomas Ramage here.**
FOR: 2019 Fall, 2020 Spring and 2020 Summer Candidates for Graduation
- Order your cap and gown the week of March 23, 2020 – March 29, 2020 online at Herff.ly/Parkland
Cap and gown orders will be charged to your student account within two business days. Cost of cap and gown rental includes a tassel and cap you may keep.
Cap and Gown Rental $23.00
Souvenier Tassel $5.00
Honor Cord* $9.00
*Must be eligible to graduate with honors in order to receive an honor cord. This will be verified before final purchase is made.
- Phi Theta Kappa Members will be contacted to order their honors stoles and tassels during the week of March 30, 2020 –April 3, 2020. Only the following PTK items will be allowed as acceptable attire:
PTK Honors Stole $26.00
PTK Tassel $10.00
- Correct name pronunciation is a top priority for our leadership during commencement. In order to aid our leadership in the correct pronunciation of your name each graduate is asked to send a video file to email@example.com. Specific instructions can be found at parkland.edu/commencement.
What you will need
1) A white board, or a big piece of paper
2) Black marker or dark pen
What needs to be on the board (in big, printed, and legible text)
1) Your name (how it is on your Petition to Graduate form)
2) Student ID number
What you need to do
1) Using your phone or other device that has a camera, record yourself saying your name.
2) Audio must be clear, loud and slow enough for those who will be reading your name at commencement (as shown in the video).
3) This video will NOT be played during your graduation ceremony.
Timed camera settings for IPhone instruction
1) Open your camera app
2) On the top center of the camera, you will notice a timer icon
3) Click on that timer icon and select your preferred time
Timed Camera settings for android users (May vary depending on type of phone)
1) Open the camera app
2) Click on the setting icon on the top corners (Can be on the left or right side)
3) Click on timer, and set your preferred times.
Click here for Name Pronunciation Sample Video
- Pick up your cap and gown on Monday, May 11, and Tuesday, May 12, from 8:30 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. in room U111. If you are unavailable during these times, please call the Office of Student Life at (217)351-2492 to make special arrangements.
- Read the instructions outlining the Commencement order of events, which you will receive when you pick up your cap and gown. There is no rehearsal, so please use the instructions to prepare for this important evening.
Tickets are required for your guests to be admitted into the Krannert Center Foellinger Great Hall. (Graduates do not need a ticket.) To be assured seating, guest should arrive no later than 7:50 p.m. In order to give all students an equal opportunity to have their friends and family in attendance, we guarantee each graduate will receive no fewer than three (3) tickets, if desired. We will ask your desired number of tickets at the time of ordering your cap and gown and will allocate additional tickets fairly as space allows. We will inform you by April 6, 2020 your ticket allocation. Tickets will be distributed during cap and gown pick up in the Office of Student Life in room U-111 on Monday, May 11, and Tuesday, May 12. After Wednesday, May 13 at 5:00 p.m., any remaining tickets will be taken to Krannert Center for the Performing Arts and will be distributed on a first-come first-serve basis.
To request accommodations for yourself or a guest attending commencement, please contact Accessibility Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling (217)353-2338.
If you are interested in portrait quality photos, a professional photographer will be available before the ceremony in the Krannert lobby. Please contact Memory Lane Photography at (217)351-1565 ahead of time to arrange an appointment. The photographer also will be taking each graduate’s picture as diplomas are received. You will be able to view and order your pictures online within a couple of days. Please watch for more information during cap and gown measurement.
Commencement announcements and memorabilia may be ordered through Signature Announcements. To order, visit their website at www.signaturea.com. Stop by the Office of Student Life in room U111 to view samples or obtain further information.
If you have any questions about your graduation status, please contact Dennis Kaczor, U219 or Beth Chepan, U220 in the Admissions Office.
If you need additional information regarding Commencement, please contact the Office of Student Life in room U111 or at (217)351-2492.
Contact the Office of Student Life in room U111 or at 217/351-2492.