Parkland College Trustees Approve Tax Levy, Tax Abatement
Parkland College Trustees Approve the Fiscal Year 2024 Property Tax and 2023 Tax Abatement
CHAMPAIGN, Ill. — The Parkland College Board of Trustees has approved the fiscal year 2024 property tax levy and abated the 2023 tax levy used to cover debt service.
The board called for a public hearing before approving the proposed property tax levy. Parkland College's requested levy is $34.6 million, a 12.35 percent increase over last year's extension. This new amount would support the college's educational ($20.3 million), operational and maintenance ($7.8 million), protection, health and safety ($2.7 million), and tort liability ($2.1 million) funds, among other expenses.
In addition, the trustees moved to abate the tax levied for the year 2023 on the $5.86 million of general obligation bonds it issued to help fund the College Master Plan. The Series 2018C bonds are to be retired through revenues raised from a student facility fee.
Also, during the board's regular meeting Wednesday, Tracy Wahlfeldt, executive director for the Parkland College Foundation, updated trustees on foundation activities. The foundation is currently in the middle of its fall appeal, seeking community support for scholarships and hosting industry events that support vital programs for faculty and students. The foundation awarded more than 340 scholarships to students this fall. The trustees also received updates from President Pamela Lau and Vice President for Strategic Partnerships and Workforce Innovation Stephanie Stuart.
In other business, trustees approved:
- a lease agreement extension with the Champaign County Regional Planning Commission through June 30, 2026, at Parkland on Mattis, $4,420 per month.
- an increase to the daily fees of the Parkland College Child Development Center by $1 to $5 depending on income tier. The new rates, which will take effect on January 1, 2024, will help ensure the sustainability of the center's services.
- personnel appointments and modifications:
- Lauren Craig, Compliance Manager, Compliance
- Haiti Eastin, Financial Aid Advisor, Financial Aid
- Chole Greenarch, Assistant Teacher, Child Development Center
- Kamden Herges, Plumber/HVAC Maintenance Tech, Physical Plant
- Joshua Ingalsbe, Information Security Engineer, Campus Technologies
- Kristin Irle, Program Assistant, Adult Education
- Sidney Megeff, Academic Success Advisor, Advising Services
- Patricia Murbarger, Financial Aid Advisor, Financial Aid
- Mukosa Nsokoshi, Financial Aid Advisor, Financial Aid
- Kate Ross, Student Advisor, Adult Education
- Gwen Smith, Associate Director, Business Office
- John Strack, Supervisor, Grounds, Physical Plant
- Terrence Stuber, Associate Director, Multimedia Support Campus Technologies
- Kristina Taylor, Financial Aid Advisor, Financial Aid
- Reginald Walker, Maintenance Worker, Physical Plant
- Kyle Waller, Multimedia Support Specialist, Campus Technologies
- James Warren, Senior Flight Instructor, Tenure Track, Aviation
- Kristen Whitehead, Greenhouse Manager, Agricultural Technologies
- Lillian Worby, Program Manager, Grants and Sponsored Programs
- Alexandra Zahrn, Social Media Manager, Marketing and Creative Services