Trustees Discuss Enrollment Increases, Approve Tuition
Board of Trustees General Meeting, February 15
The Parkland College Board of Trustees raised next year's tuition rates, heard a report on increased enrollment, and approved a lease for a new truck driver training lot at its regular meeting Wednesday.
Trustees voted to increase tuition rates by $6.25 per credit hour, to $154.75, and student activity fees by $1.25, to $3 per credit hour, starting with the Summer 2023 session. Parkland has not increased its tuition rate since summer 2019 and the student activity fees have not increased in more than ten years.
The Student Activity Fund increase, supported by Parkland Student Government Association, supports vital student engagement, leadership, cultural, wellness, and academic improvement activities.
These include student ceremonies such as commencement and the honors convocation, staffing for clubs and organizations, student government, and funding for student support and engagement opportunities, among many others.
Kristin Smigielski, Dean of Enrollment Management, gave an enrollment report, which showed increased enrollments for the third consecutive semester and a 7.19% increase in enrollment for the spring semester over last year.
Trustees also approved the recommended 2023-2024 Course Fee Schedule, which includes both reductions and increases in individual program courses.
In other business, trustees approved:
- three-year fenced parking lot lease agreement with The Atkins Group Warehouse, LLC, of Urbana for Parkland College's truck driver training program, $165,261.
- purchase of ALEKS PPL assessment testing units from McGraw-Hill of Blacklick, Ohio, $60,000.
- purchase of a 2023 Ford SUV Police Interceptor Utility AWD vehicle from Morrow Brothers Ford Inc., of Greenfield, Ill., $40,010.
- purchase of furniture for the Learning Commons from Krueger International of Green Bay, Wisc., $65,000.
- purchase of personal laptops and associated accessories for Academic Services from Dell Computer Corp., Round Rock, Tex., $65,000.
- the following personnel appointments:
- Sidney Megeff, Coordinator, Technical, Student Life
- Mukosa Nsokoshi, Advisor, Financial Aid
- Eric Ray, Admissions Advisor/CRM Specialist, Admissions and Records
- Oluwaseun Sodiji, Coordinator, International Admissions, Admissions and Records
- W. Andy Henderson, Maintenance Worker, Physical Plant