Parkland Board Approves 2021 Tax Levy, Tax Abatement
Board of Trustees General Meeting, November 17
At its regular meeting Wednesday, Parkland College's Board of Trustees heard updates from administration, approved a tax levy of approximately $30 million, and abated taxes for a bond issuance that is being retired with student fee revenues.
After an update from college president Tom Ramage, trustees heard from Amin Kassem, Chief Information Officer (CIO) and Chief Information Security Officer (CISO) for an update on the information technology and security at Parkland, as well as an update of the Technology Strategic Plan. Executive Director Tracy Wahlfeldt also gave an update on the activities of the Parkland College Foundation.
The board then held a public hearing on the 2021 tax levy and passed a tax levy resolution totaling $30,410,000. Chief Financial Officer Chris Randles noted that the levy may yield a slightly lower tax rate.
Additionally, trustees moved to abate the tax levied for the year 2021 on the $5.9 million of general obligation bonds it issued to help fund the College Master Plan. The series 2018C bonds are to be retired with revenues raised from a student facility fee.
In other business, trustees approved:
the purchase of:
- YuJa Enterprise Video Platform from YuJa, Inc, $20,000 annually from July 1, 2022—June 30, 2025
- broadcast media system hardware and software from Midwest Computer Company, $48,071
- full-body Phantom X-ray model bid from Supertech X-ray, $29,495
- 36-month electricity and natural gas utility service contract with Constellation Energy
- annual rate increase to the Child Development Center fees
the filing of the following grant applications:
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC): “Integrated Drivers of Infection Genomics for One Health” (funding via NSF Predictive Intelligence for Pandemic Prevention)
- U.S. Economic Development Administration (EDA): Build Back Better Regional Challenge—Phase 1 (Concept Proposal)
- American Association of Community College Trustees & Education Strategy Group: Noncredit and Credit Alignment Lab (NCAL)
the acceptance of funds from external sources:
- Illinois Community College Board (ICCB): FY22 Scaling Apprenticeship Program (supplemental)
- Illinois Arts Council Agency (IACA): General Operating Support (GOS) Grant
- Illinois Community College Board (ICCB): FY22 Career & Technical Education Perkins Postsecondary Grant
- Illinois Community College Board: Governor’s Emergency Education Relief Funds (GEERF II)
- Illinois Community College Board (ICCB): FY22 Adult Education & Literacy Grant
- Mina Cho, Simulation Coordinator, Health Professions
- Jason Maldonado, HR Specialist, Human Resources
- Ellen Elghammer, Admissions Advisor, Admissions
- Sarah Winker Uy, Admissions Advisor, Admissions
- Cyndy White, Student Records Advisor, Admissions
- Leeann Smith, Asst. Teacher, Child Development Center
- Kevin Tiedemann, Financial Aid Advisor, Financial Aid