At Parkland, we are committed to serving our community’s
increasingly diverse population by creating a faculty that reflects our
student body. One way we do this is by offering opportunities for
underrepresented students to enter the field of college teaching.
Our Professors of the Future (PROF) program selects outstanding
Parkland students and assists them in becoming community college
teachers by providing financial and mentoring support. Our goal is to
help these students complete bachelor’s and master’s degrees and, when opportunities are available, to have
them return to teach at Parkland as PROF scholars. PROF scholars are encouraged to apply for any
tenure-track positions that become available in their disciplines at
PROFESSORS OF THE FUTURE PROGRAM Who can apply?
Any current or recent Parkland student who meets the following criteria may apply. The student:
- must be a member of an underrepresented group within the discipline or program in which the student aspires to teach
- must be a United States citizen or a permanent resident
- must not already have a bachelor's degree
What are the academic requirements?
To qualify, a student must:
- Complete at least 24 credit hours in the academic program the student hopes to teach in with a minimum 3.2 GPA
- Have compelling academic promise
- Set a career goal of teaching in a community college
After acceptance, the scholar must:
- Successfully transfer to a four-year college or university in the calendar year of the award
- Complete bachelor’s and master’s degrees in the discipline declared during the application process
- Participate in a mentoring relationship with a Parkland faculty member in the student’s discipline
- Return to Parkland during the period of the scholarship to participate in student engagement activities
- Click to download and complete PROF Scholar application
Application deadline: April 10 at 5pm
- Two letters of recommendation from Parkland faculty
- A 750-1000-word essay sharing personal history, career goals, and experiential knowledge which make the applicant an exceptional candidate for this program
- Official transcripts from all colleges or universities attended, including Parkland College
For more information email Dr. Umeeta Sadarangani
or call 217/373-3868. The Karen Keener PROF Scholar is supported by the Parkland College Foundation. Click to learn how you can help support this and other Parkland programs.