A high school diploma or GED is not required. Individuals must be able to read and write the English language, be over 21, be able to meet the federal Department of Transportation physical requirements, and have a valid driver’s license at the time of registration. Training is open to individuals 18 and over but has limited job placement assistance for individuals under the age of 21.
Prior to starting the course, individuals must provide a copy of their DOT physical and drug screen. It is recommended individuals obtain a copy of their Motor Vehicle Report from the Secretary of State’s office (Driver’s License Bureau) prior to starting the course.
The following may disqualify you from entering the truck driving workforce:
- A driving record inconsistent with industry standards for entry-level driving positions
- Any substance-related violations on your motor vehicle record in the past three years
- Recent felony convictions or criminal background
- History of drug or alcohol abuse
- History of mental disorder
- Permanent disability or physical limitations