Home  :  Student Services  :  Office of Financial Aid and Veteran Services  :  How to Apply for Aid  

How to Apply for Aid

Step 1:
If you have not yet done so, apply to attend Parkland College as a degree-seeking student.  We will not be able to receive your information from the federal government if you have not completed this step.
Step 2:
Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and list Parkland as one of the school choices. Our federal school code is 007118.  The FAFSA may be completed online at www.fafsa.gov. NOTE: The FAFSA is free. You should never pay for completing it. If you are asked for payment of an application fee, stop the application immediately and go to the official FREE government website at www.fafsa.gov.

The FAFSA should be filled out once per year, as soon after October 1 as possible.  Information needed to complete the FAFSA includes tax returns for the student, their spouse, or parents of the dependent student (generally students under the age of 24).
If you need help filling out the FAFSA online, bring your tax return copies and any other required paperwork to the Financial Aid Office. If you already have a FSA ID, bring it with you. Staff is normally available to help you between 8 am and 5 pm.
Step 3:
After allowing approximately one week, Parkland will receive your submitted FAFSA into our computer system.  From this point forward, the processing of your information will be performed by the staff of the Office of Financial Aid and Veteran Services.  Should your FAFSA be chosen for the verification process, Parkland College will be required to collect certain tax information used to file the FAFSA as well as some other supporting documentation.  You will be alerted to this requirement via a letter mailed to your home address and an email to your Parkland Student email account, which can be checked at stu.parkland.edu,  If you are selected for the verification process, all documentation must be received prior to your application being processed.
Step 4:
After all required documentation is received, allow 2-3 weeks for processing.  You will receive an email at your Parkland Student email account regarding your award.  Any grant or scholarship awards will be listed on your award letter.  If you receive an award for Federal Work Study, you will have to accept the award on your my.parkland page, which can be located by logging into your account at my.parkland.edu and selecting "Accept or Reject Awards."

© Parkland College
2400 West Bradley Ave | Champaign, IL 61821 | 217.351.2200 | 888.467.6065
The Mission of Parkland College is to engage the community in learning.