Community residents will appreciate the brand new lineup of noncredit classes and workshops scheduled this fall through Parkland College Community Education.
Dozens of new personal enrichment classes cover everything from food to finances; there’s something for everyone. Community Education Program Manager John Eby said his office, as in the past, has taken public interests into consideration when setting this new lineup.
“Throughout the year, we watch to see what topics are trending, accept inquiries and consider the expectations of our enrollees,” he said. “Then, we seek out the best presenters and instructors for Parkland Community Education classes.
“In addition to engaging new opportunities being offered during fall, we have retained many familiar courses and one-day workshops,” Eby said. “I hope everyone will take the time to review our listing of courses, and give us a call to get registered.”
Several new classes, listed by category, are below. For class details, check out Parkland’s noncredit publication, 505
, which arrived in area mailboxes in early August, or view the online version
. Call 217/353-2055 to register for a class.
FOOD: New cooking and gardening classes
• Joy of Juicing: Learn how to make the best juice combinations for health in the least amount of time.
• Apple Desserts: Make three irresistible desserts—apple blossoms, apple braids, and an apple pie in an apple.
• Vertical Gardening: Make use of 14 different vertical structures to grow vegetables, fruits, and climbing flowers.
• Design A Culinary Herb Garden: Enjoy cooking with fresh herbs from your own garden.
ARTS/CRAFTS: New knitting and floral arrangement classes
• Kumihimo Weaving: Additional Weaves: Create beautiful woven cord for jewelry and gifts in this follow-up class to 'Kumihimo Weaving: Getting Started'.
• Beginning Continental Knitting And Beyond: Learn how to knit continental style and the basic knit and purl stitches.
• Knit Or Crochet A Ruffle Scarf: Ruffle scarves are fun and easy to make. You choose—knit or crochet!
• Needle Felting 101: Discover the process of locking or tangling wool fibers together to create your own needle felt accessories.
• Boxwood Topiary Centerpiece: Create holiday décor with fresh cut boxwood and beautiful, natural materials.
• Miniature Dried Floral Arrangement: Acorns, branches, bark, pods, seeds, leaves, and your imagination, will provide you with a “fairy-sized” arrangement to enjoy throughout the fall season.
• Spooktacular Floral Arrangement: Orange, black, and purple will be the color scheme for bootiful Halloween centerpieces you will create.
HEALTH: New classes for wellness and physical safety
• New Christie Foundation Living Well free breakfast seminars: Nutrition and Good Health; Pain Management; Good Bones for Good Health; Hypertension; Living in the Now
• Brain Injury Series: One-Handed Cooking: Discover how easy it is to make a delicious meal using adapted methods and tools for safe one-handed cooking.
FINANCES: New retirement and financial planning workshops
• Social Security: Your Questions Answered: How will Social Security fit into your retirement plan? When should you start taking benefits? What are the tax considerations? Understand your options and the impact your decisions have on your retirement.
• Script Your Family’s Future--Why You Need An Estate Plan: Learn the important role a well-executed estate plan can play in ensuring your strategy remains aligned with your goals.
• Do You Know Your Number? If all you do is save and not spend, that’s great! But what happens when “Life happens”?
TRAVEL: New armchair travel series
• Hiking Through History Along The River Thames: Enjoy scenic and historic landscapes that have inspired artists and poets for centuries along the River Thames.